PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 08:27
mosteo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deSitter
ion_berkeley, you can't be serious - people are still using that hermaphroditic monster? I'm stunned. Or is this just the page of some Ada booster (Lord do I remember those drones!)?
Ada is alive, even if nowadays is typically confined to the high safety and integrity niche, where (if I'm not mistaken, and I'm not an insider) it is even growing. The earlier referenced Tokeneer project is done using a subset of Ada (Spark) with added facilities for automatic code verification.

The improvements brought in by the '95 standard were notable. I don't know to what extent the projects listed in that page use it though. Personally, I've settled on Ada (the modern versions) as the best compromise for error-free code in this crazy world of fads that IT is, as someone said, although my work has nothing to do with safety. But I went out of (an European) university latter than Ada fell into disgrace, so I was not exposed to the mandate and backslash that surrounded the origins of Ada. And even if I'm reassured thinking that the planes I use as SLF use Ada rather than C or C++, I'm sure there is much more (e.g. the whole development and certification process) involved than the particular language used in the end.