PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 08:19
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reminds me of the time, when as a LAC we had a new WOD posted in. In our airforce was the same as a SWO.

Very British by older gentlemen with both WW1 and WW2 medals. His hat old as it was, was better than my three year old one. Patent leather brim with green material on the underneath. Must have gone back to the thirties.

Me thinking would not be a good idea to get off side with him brought up the subject of vintage cars which he owned one. We had a interesting conversation on the problem he was having problems with, agreed that I could come round to his married patch and look closer.

Mrs Hayes ever the english lady made tea and scones and then we looked at and resolved the chain drive problem.

I was just about to leave when I said I believe Sir that you used to be in the Indian army. His dignified replay reply showed his true mettle.

Never laddie was I in the Indian army, but I was in the British army and stationed in India.

I never forgot the important of saying the correct thing, rather than just pushing words out.

The last of our veteran WOD's but he ran the depot like it was his own, which I suppose it really was.

Rest in peace WO Hayes you taught me much about dignity

Regards

Col