PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for Emirates Pilots with Wife and Kids only please
Old 24th May 2011, 03:59
captainsmiffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seaman staynes speaks wise words; the key to it is wife happiness as was stated. Mine is a qualified nurse with lots of experience but she found it a major problem getting work and, without a role here, your spouse will find boredom setting in...

The F/Os salary can be a challenge at times, too. We have 3 kids and it is rather 'tight' at times.

Have you visited the place? Good time to come is now because the heat is winding up again and you will get a feel for the climate, which can be brutal in summer!

Overrall, so far (4 years in) the wife has found a role, the kids are happy (despite major anti-dubai feelings from our eldest prior to coming out - over it now and also happy) and we are getting on with life, but it is very different from home. My contract is not worth the paper it is written on and upgrade time is rather different to that which was hinted at in interview (I am looking at 7 years or so) but I have enjoyed my time thus far, having flown with a great bunch of guys to some great destinations (and to some rather crap ones too!). Fatigue is also a big enemy and, certainly on the 'bus, you often spend your precious time off just recovering from the previous nights turnaround. The company seems to go out of its way to bring morale down amongst the troops and have it down to a fine art - which is a pity because I have often said that this could be the best flying job in the world, if only it were allowed to be.....they have yet to learn that a happy, smiling workforce will improve the bottom line no end but, as a 'bean-counter' is unable to put a figure onto this morale thing then things are not going to change here in the near future. Shame, for them and for us.

Sorry, that last paragraph was a bit of a ramble!! Good luck with yuor soul-searching.