PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT Aeromed
Thread: NT Aeromed
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 02:48
Hans Solo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good, sensible, logical post Al,
I would not have called it an "emotive response" at all......you obviously struck a nerve with PC12togo though.
I liked your phrase "no option by design" as I think that clearly puts aside the 'crew factor' and focuses on the AIRCRAFT's ability to safely perform with an engine failed.
In other words, if the crews were all equally skilled in handling the loss of one engine and thus capable of performing everything without error, who would come off 2nd best?
A possible scenario may be a sea-level cabin transfer which takes you over the Hammersleys in the middle of a dark and stormy night, beyond gliding distance of any lit airstrip.
In the above scenario, it will matter little as to whether the PC12 pilot has handled everything perfectly, as the end result (barring a miracle) will most likely be very unpleasant.
It is the lack of control over factors beyond the Pilots ability and the fact that the aircraft "By Design" leaves you with only one option that makes the multi-engine scenario unquestionably safer.
When they design a PC12 that is GUARANTEED to have an engine that will not fail, then I might change my point of view.......actually they'll need to bump up the climb and cruise speeds as well....Oh Yeah and those frickin seats need to be softened up a bit too...but i do like the trailing link and the 2cup holders in the NG's!