PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CO2 hysteria to raise airfare costs to Europe
Old 24th May 2011, 01:52
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via flyingfox:

Flying Binghi. I personally prefer the term 'Global Warming' to 'Climate Change'. IYHO this makes me lack a basic understanding of the climate debate. You can never be denied the right to hold an opinion! However the pedantics of the debate over which term should be used is of no concern to me. Neither of them is adequate or exclusive of the other.

As for your reference to the fact that the earth has been warming since the last ice-age, I commend you for your knowledge. The science of 'climate change / global warming' (take your pick) is about the size of the acceleration and overshoot of this phenomonen beyond the normal 'peak', due to human activities. Right now we are approaching the time of the cycles anticipated peak but no slowing is evident. Some models suggest the overshoot may be irreversible and catastrophic.

I am not being contradictory or trying to stop any debate in this thread. Without new technologies aviation will suffer greatly from restrictions brought about by world governments and their decisions about these issues. My objection is to the notion, as the thread title suggests, that this science is purely 'CO2 hysteria' without good and quantitative evidence supporting it.
"...The science of 'climate change / global warming' (take your pick) is about the size of the acceleration and overshoot of this phenomonen beyond the normal 'peak', due to human activities..."

flyingfox, is that what the infamous hocky stick graph and the climate models are trying to proove ?

"...My objection is to the notion, as the thread title suggests, that this science is purely 'CO2 hysteria' without good and quantitative evidence supporting it..."

flyingfox, i'd be interested to see any "quantitive evidence" you might have.