PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legalities of Pilot Strike Breakers
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2011, 00:26
RHLMcG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how many could honestly say that they would NOT EVEN CONSIDER IT. Not too many would be my guess.

In a nutshell, that philosophical distinction represented the fence between the two groups in 89/90.

I was on one side of the fence (I saw no option then and, were the circumstances to be similar again, I would see no option again). Those on the other side of the fence I can be polite towards but would be most unlikely to share a drink, etc.

The only people I can accept who flew over our routes are those who were in employment O/S and were directed by their employers to crew on a short contract basis. I have one such long term friend and colleague. While he thought that we were all a bit foolish at the time (and I have to agree with him), I don't think that he at all relished having to fly in the circumstances. However, I certainly wouldn't expect him or anyone else, to have sacrificed his job to make a point.

On the other hand, those who gratuitously and willingly, even enthusiastically, fed/feed on the adversity of others are true bottom feeders. We all had numerous friends and, in the case of some, family, who were of such ilk. Just a personal view, I suppose, but I wouldn't piss on such people if they were on fire in the gutter as I walked past.

I can bring to mind a couple of very highly qualified and competent non-airline pilots who were courted quite actively at the time but declined the offers. As one observed to a group in my presence later, to have accepted would have meant that "Bloggs would never have spoken to me again". By rejecting the offers, he chose to forego a significant dollar benefit at a useful stage in his working life. Such integrity puts the bleating of others ("I had to go back for the kids", etc.) in perspective for me, at least.

TG (love that username) refers to a suicide - there were a number of such people who had parallel stress sufficient to push them over the edge. The Industry and personal tragedy involved was nothing short of absolutely disgraceful.

Jesus, don't go down our path.

Absolutely the case. Those who ignore history inevitably are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by RHLMcG; 24th May 2011 at 00:39.