PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:39
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off I want to apologize to CogSim for my wording. I had no intention of wanting to make the discussion a Yoke vs SS or an A vs B discussion. Only a commentary on hand strength and the predilection to prefer one or the other for precision…without detracting from the AF447 discussion.

Smilin Ed's points are valid and I agree it’s all a matter of being trained, experienced and ultimately comfortable.

My experience includes flying various transport category aircraft with a yoke assembly (control wheel and column), from both the left side and right side; a transport category aircraft simulator with sidesticks, from both the left and right side; and fighter aircraft with both conventional center stick and FBW sidestick. I also flew the rams horn in the Hawker 800 aircraft from both the left and right seat.

I also flew different configurations, both aircraft and simulator, fighter and transport, on the same day from different chairs.

It indeed is not a strength or a handedness issue only a training and experience one. The A330 sidesticks in either seat are excellent pilot interface control devices. I personally use the armrest for both the control wheel and sidestick configurations in either seat. Some people don’t.

As to whether you need two hands on a yoke control wheel is a matter of technique and experience also. In the old days some aircraft didn’t have auto-throttles or auto-thrust and actual manual movement of the thrust levers (gasp) was often required. The control wheel was designed to accommodate two-handed flying, but did not necessitate it.

As an instructor in the B727 aircraft (prior to getting a simulator), I’ve flown manual reversion (flight control switches off) to the allowed aircraft training minimum of 300’ AGL on approaches from both the left and right seat. I can assure you that strength-wise it was equally difficult from either side.