PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:38
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sidestick

CogSim, quote:
"Chris Scott's notes on sidestick technique are worth a read even for non-FBW pilots."
http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/31609...ml#post3979423
Glad it's of interest, thanks.
Quote:
"When I first started flying it took me some time to condition my reflexes to operate the stick with my weaker hand even with the stick positioned in my trainer between the legs."
Sounds like your "strong" hand was on the throttle?
Quote:
"It is not a problem anymore after years of training, but I often wondered about the wisdom of having arguably the most important control on the "wrong" side of the captain (given the majority of us are right-handed)."
You raise an interesting point. For me, from conversion on the A320, the vast majority of flights were from the L/H seat, and I'm right-handed. My occasional handling sectors in the R/H seat usually started with a tendency to over-rotate on take-off! You don't need a strong hand for the sidestick, but it has to be reasonably dexterous (sorry if that's oxymoronic). Most of us droitiers seem to be able to create and send (cellphone) text messages with our left thumbs...

PJ2, quote:
"...the experience I've had in heavy turbulence is that, even when the elbow and lower arm are planted firmly on the armrest and the sidestick is moved only through the wrist or more likely through just the fingers, it is difficult to not "stir the pot" or more importantly to achieve consistent, steady inputs in one direction, (subtle or large inputs).
The inertia of the arm/hand responds as one would expect in heavy turbulence, and if the stick is gripped firmly instead of being ridden loosely, (while trying to achieve steady inputs in one general direction), the stick inputs will follow the movements of the hand/arm."
My post with the above link was "in the pipeline" when you posted the above. Notwithstanding my contention (see the link) that the fingers/thumb should not be touching the stick except when a movement is required, your point is particularly relevant for the AF447 case, where stick displacements lasting for many seconds are likely to have been necessary.
In normal operations, I guess the longest-time stick displacements are on rotation and flare. These can include roll inputs in turbulence, if a wing-drop persists, or in ground-mode (crosswind). In the simulator, we used to practise the entry to an emergency descent without AP normally involving roll as well as pitch. However, it was soon decided that, being such a good AP, the exercise would be more realistic and productive with the AP engaged.
So long-term pitch commands, coupled with brief roll demands, are not often practised. And, as you imply, the combination of the two is something not as easy as when you have the stick between your legs, or in the case of a conventional control-wheel/column. Turbulence would exacerbate the difficulty, as you suggest.

Discussing the above reminds me of the matter of whether, in ALT2 Law (pitch-alternate with roll-direct), the A330 still provides bank-angle pitch-compensation (including the case of a descending turn).