PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F speed too low?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:02
I-2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always thought that F speed is too low. It tends to result in very high pitch attitudes which when combined with turbulence and slow autothrust seem to make some approaches quite exciting!

I'm interested in the thoughts of any other bus drivers.
The aerodynamics and fly by wire flight controls combination on second generation Airbus gives you the opportunity to fly a variety of operational speeds at different configurations. In some turbulent conditions with gusty winds, it is important to adapt the combination of speed/attitude/configuration to the actual condition in order to have the greatest margin of reaction. The autothrust will do a great job if the energy of the airplane is well maintained, and in that case it is worth having some extra speed to play with the gusts given your relatively high pitch up attitude at the F speed. When it's gusty, I usually tend to keep at least 160 kts with F2, in my opinion going below that is so close to your Vapp that I prefer to complete the configuration and have a stable and well trimmed airplane at low speeds. Of course, if the ATHR response is unsatisfactory I takeover, but I have to say that the system really works very well in a very wide range of operational environments.