PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ Guys at EK
Thread: RJ Guys at EK
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:53
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I begin, I accept that I'm not in a position to tell EK what to do or how to do it, nor would I presume myself qualified to do so. I only have my own experience based ideas. This thread seemed the likely place to share an opinion.

For many months now, what most of us read on this side of the fence, posted by presumably frustrated EK crews, (and some are very blunt in describing what it's like to work there) is all or very negative in content.
Why would anyone want to join EK in such a state of misery?

Probably, much of what is read, and it doesn't sound to me like things are improving in EK, contributes to many deciding to give EK a miss. (I'm too old and besides, they're looking for talented pilots). Which I believe is a sad state of affairs as on the outside it seems like an amazing place to live, work and play. But, we all know images can be deceiving.

If, in this day and age, any airline knowing full well the pilot pool is drying up at an alarming rate, it isn't reshaping and refining criteria for new hires doesn't or isn't keeping pace or at least taking this into account, disaster looms.

Why do, not the professional line pilots out here, but the HR departments and DFOs from company to company (not just EK) insist on 'game' playing to recruit talent? Stupidity like that drives MPL and other off-the-wall solutions to diminish the impact on the evaporating pilot supply. When you look at the numerous companies out there who's HR department has become an entity unto itself and let's be honest, out-of-control, it doesn't surprise me.

EK will undoubtedly do what it needs to do and that includes passing over people for upgrade and recruiting based on MTOW.
Honestly? I don't see that as an effective way to boost morale.

I get it.
Willie