PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just done PPL at EFT
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:27
Oldpilot55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would echo ct's comments. I found the attitude of my US training school as highly positive compared with my experience in the UK. They knew I was there for a limited time and wanted me to get a licence. Therefore they were geared up to the whole process. In the UK the approach was half hearted, there was no pressure to pass exams.
Like ct we shared reasonable accommodation so there was peer pressure to study. The discussions at night were about flying, the quality of the aeroplanes and the instructors. It would not have been a trip to take a wife/husband/partner unless they were of like mind.
Unfortunately the school I trained with no longer trades but there are plenty more out there.
Folk here say that the Florida weather is too good but it wasn't. There were proper cold fronts going through, so plenty of winds, clouds and thunderstorms. Also there were fires all over Florida which reduced visibility to UK levels.
I had a lapsed PPL so I did know what to expect but as an experience it was enjoyable, economical and worthwhile. Highly recommended.