PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT Aeromed
Thread: NT Aeromed
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:17
pc12togo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, you're not doing that at all.

PC12 Fact - engine failure with only one engine = forced landing by necessity, regardless of wx, height or anything else. Examples of SE turbines forced landing following engine failure in Aust:
VH-NOW, PC12 29 January 2010
VH-NTQ, C208 14 January 2010
VH-UMV, C208 31 December 2009
VH-PSQ, C208 14 January 2008
VH-KLP, C208 5 February 2006
VH-CYC C208 8 February 2004
VH-URT, C208 21 August 1998
VH-FMC, PC12 20 October 1998

B200 Fact - engine failure with two engines = making choice from range of options which does not by necessity include forced landing. Examples of B200 forced landing following one engine failure in Aust: None.

Gidday Wally
Thanks Al,

can you enlighten us all to the engine failure of VH-FMC that you have listed above. According to the ATSB report issued for the incident on the 20th October 1998 this was to do with an oil pressure indication fluctuation, from which the aircraft made "an uneventful landing".

Investigation: 199804687 - Pilatus Aircraft Ltd PC-12, VH-FMC

Of course you may have other information that the ATSB is not aware of. I'd be very glad to hear this as I am sure RFDS would also like you to bring them up to speed on the engine failure that occurred of which you are the only person who knows about it.

Out of curiosity, of the in flight shutdowns listed above how many fatalities were recorded?

Also while you're at it can you just clear up the following incidents for me seeing that we are now generalising all single engine turbine aircraft types into one category:

The 16th Sept 1995 accident in Tamworth:

ASN Aircraft accident Swearingen SA.227AC Metro III VH-NEJ Tamworth Airport, NSW (TMW)

The 22nd March accident at Darwin

ASN Aircraft accident Embraer 120ER Brasilia VH-ANB Darwin Airport, NT (DRW)

Every time this argument comes up the normal armchair experts always state that with appropriately qualified crew and proper training a multi engine aircraft will fly away after an engine failure.

Both aircraft mentioned above were being operated by appropriately trained personnel / crew and these crew are no longer around to share their story. Please help me out here as the old multi engine turbine aircraft are safer than single engine turbines argument isn't quite adding up when you look at the real facts as opposed to the inherent emotion that is still driving the old argument.

edit: spelling.

Last edited by pc12togo; 23rd May 2011 at 10:29.