PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:02
Anton du Flasheart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vee-tail-1

As an Boeing and Airbus driver I feel that your 'RANTS' are just that -RANTS. Fear comes from lack of understanding, or ignorance - I suggest that you go and learn a little more about what you are RANTING.
Just because an operator plans a flight too high for the conditions doesn't mean that you have to fly there - it would be negligent to do so and that is why there are huimans on a flight deck. In fact this frequently happens because most flight deck try to carry more fuel than accountants like resulting in heavier aeroplanes and lower 'coffin corner' - perhaps you would like to RANT about safety in fuel policy too.
Most Airbus operators encourage as much hand flying as Boeing operators and most pilots only fly because they love flying - not just monitor.
Monitoring the approach of coffin corner is exactly the same on an Airbus as a Boeing - responsibility for ensuring it's avoidance is the same flight deck responsibility ( and often predicted by the same manufacturer of FMS ) and skill. And...I'd certainly prefer to be in an Airbus if I had to cope with consequences - degraded law on not.