PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:52
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not afraid of the SWO (well maybe a little) #1

Having spent 24yrs (now retired) at Her Majesty's Pleasure in The World's Finest Air Force, I had ample opportunity to incur the wrath of some notable holders of the Royal Warrant.

My earliest memory is of WO Fred Cattle, Wing WO of 2 Apprentice Wing at Halton in the early 70's. This gleaming example of his craft was able to induce abject terror in his youthful charges with a mere glance. Fred would add a high-volume order to "STAND STILL!" after (almost) every drill command, as the testosterone-laden spotty boys arrayed before him fidgeted & twitched. Our morning parade to Schools/Workshops featured c2,500 Apprentices marching across Main Point (deep joy for local motorists) behind one of our 3 Bands. The Brass Band would often play 'Liberty Bell' by JP Sousa (Monty Python theme), which has an ascending note section. On the highest of these notes, we would all rise on the toes of one foot whilst on the march. WO Cattle would invariably be marching (immaculately) alongside we horrible youths, and would be driven insane by this.

More to follow.