PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:06
zeddb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with much of what is being said. I got into flying as a second career in my 30's way back when. I used to be an engineer and the job I used to do entailed more time on aircraft and more open ended time away than I ever do now.

On the minus side, I have had two redundancies and been on the wrong end of the seniority list as a result most of the time. That can happen in any profession but aviation makes it a double whammy as you have to start all over again every time. Hence I am a greying, doddering 3 striper whilst most of my contemporaries sit on the other side of the flightdeck.

On the plus side, I had the good fortune to be employed by a decent operator despite being the wrong side of 50 and now fly freight for a living. I enjoy it because I fly about half the hours that I used to do in pax flying and it's a mix of long and short haul which keeps the interest up. I even have half a chance of getting into the other seat before I am carried off in a pine box. So lots of ups and downs but providing you stay reasonably positive and have the good fortune to keep passing your medicals, things kind of even out.

Do I still enjoy it? Yes overall. I still look up when an aircraft goes overhead and I still stand on top of the steps and watch the comings and goings for a couple of minutes when it's my walkround. Regrets? no, I always wanted to do it and despite some bad times I achieved my ambition despite being told I never would by the usual assortment of naysayers that used to exist before PTF came along. Would I start it now? probably not due to financial considerations but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to.

Advice? have a plan B. I spent over a year not flying due to the state of things in 2010 and developed other ways to make money. I still do them because you never know what is around the next corner and doing something else gives you the chance to look forward to the next trip.

I wouldn't want to be 25 again, even for the increased energy levels.