PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:34
Fratemate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As many of my posts will attest, I've been quite pro-AJV/AJX in my comments. I know in the last year or so these comments have become progressively more negative, as the blundering assholes in the Office run around like headless chickens and fail to achieve anything meaningful (apart from re-organising the desks ) but this latest change to our conditions has firmly put me now in the 'stay away' camp.

They've introduced 2 commuting days but then said you cannot commute on the last day of work and have to be at work the day before your roster starts. Result: bugger all, in fact less than that as you now have 2 extra nights to pay for in the hotel.

They've introduced an 'exchange rate protection' on 50% of the per diem. Big deal. What's happened to the money we've lost in the interim i.e. since Aug 2008 (when the 'acceptable' rate is set)? Back pay to then? No. We saw the same with the hotel allowances and the fact that we've been underpaid since Aug 2008. So excuse me if I don't get the banners out and start waving because that massively generous 'protection' of 50% of the per diem is going to work out at about $150/month. Wow, how will I invest it all.....I know, it'll pay for the extra nights in the hotel. Result: no gain.

Free uniform laundry. I can almost guarantee they've done this as it costs more in admin to separate us from ANA Mainline, who get there's done free. But, hey, $20 per month......can't sneeze at that can you

For Australians there's been a salary loss of approximately 43% due to the high Oz $ and crap US $. A similar high loss has been experienced by the European pilots. During that time the Yen has remained very strong against the US $ and AJX has simply reaped the benefits. Likewise, WE have been instrumental in increasing the cargo profit by 500%, while being subject to the consequences of combining AJV & AJX, while the profits of doing so are enjoyed by the Company. I have no problem at all with profiting through combining synergies and us doing our job well. I DO have a HUGE problem when I am then paying for so they can show an even steeper increase on their pretty graphs. They've had to keep the cargo boys on the slightly higher pay for the last 3 months as they couldn't get their act together and sort out passenger 'training' (I use that in the loosest possible terms) but, come I July, we all become absolutely one (unhappy) family and not only do I not get a salary increase but I lose $500/month. SO, well done AJX, you have absolutely failed 100% to address the huge issue that we've been telling you for ages.

The only positive in all of this is it has allowed some 'fence sitters' in the Company to have the decision to leave made a lot easier. I think we're up to 5 at the moment but, come July when a lot of the AJV contracts come up, I'm sure there will be others. It is sad that these guys are going because they are good people and a pleasure to work with. I would rather they didn't go but this will be the only thing the 'managers' at AJX will listen to.

In closing, I will categorically state that you should STAY AWAY. This is NOT an attempt to further our cause by ensuring nobody joins so they have to listen but this is advice to stop you being hugely disappointed by the spin being offered by the agencies (to be fair, as a reaction to the demands of the Company):

There has been no salary increase for a LONG time. There is no protection for the crap US$. The Yen is very strong = expensive to stay and 'live' in Japan. The allowances do not cover the expenses you will pay, especially as there will be more time in the NRT hotels as they combine pax and cargo rosters. The days off changes have made absolutely no difference and there are better contracts out there now. As Ishi said, as an FO you can almost guarantee you will not get upgraded on your first contract (they may 'assess' you but getting the 4 stripes will, almost certainly, not happen within the 5 years). And you get to do all of this while the Japanese Government lies to you about radiation levels and the effects on food, water etc

I knew I was going to hate this Monday morning