PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Box 2 problem
Thread: Box 2 problem
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 12:23
Victorian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Box 2 problem

Reading the "flying 2000' over an ATZ" thread reminded me of a deeply irritating problem that I seem to have got stuck with. I can't operate 'Box 2' at all because of the following problem:

I have a 430 (Box 1) and an MX-170C (Box2) with a (Original fit) KMA-20 audio panel and Sigtronics intercom. The problem is that I can't select the box2 audio while transmitting on Box1, or vice versa, without loud and distracting audio breakthrough. This is so bad that I can't effectively speak because of the audio racket in the headset.

My avionics installer has effecively washed his hands of this saying that the two radios don't have a mute function and there's no way to shut the audio up. But surely the audio panel is supposed to cut the audio from both radios during transmission? He's convinced it's RF breakthrough and I've spent some money moving the antennas further apart to no effect. Now his idea is to put one of them under the fuselage.

However the audio breakthrough is so strong and consistent in either direction that I just don't believe that it's an RF issue.

Ideas anybody? Thanks, hopefully.