PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:15
macdo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking, as I am right now, forward to my deep night flight to the Eastern Med (and back), which has followed two earlies (outta bed at 3am) and knowing I'll be on the same rotation for 2 of the next 3 weekends, I can only say that SLOWJET has it completely right. I had a few good years, before the dead hand of accountants, security, terrorists, airline management and our good selves allowed this job to go down the pan to the extent where even the general public start to have sympathy with us!
There is still a career to be had here for anyone who has low expectations of life. If you are lucky you will end up in the top 10% of PAYE jobs and you will get more time off than many. But the lack of job satisfaction and constantly being dicked around by your employer will eventually sap your soul, I fell so sorry for the 20 year old cadets I see around, will they be able to do this job for 50 years and stay sane?
I have two teenage children, who already see that airline flying is a deadend career for most and if you want fun, make some serious money, have friends that you can see at the weekend and buy yourself a Pitts Special.

Re. the 9-5 debate, rather depends who you work for. Working for flybe or somesuch for crap money, I'd rather be in the office and have my weekends off,thanks.
Re. Cabin Crew - the gay comment was not politically correct, but reflects a stereotype senior cabin crew member who has been told by senior cabin crew management that they are integral to the airplane not falling from the sky, and has believed it. We have all met the type of both sexes and they are not an improvement to Flight Safety or CRM.

Last edited by macdo; 22nd May 2011 at 11:26.