PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabair v's Oxford Aviation ATPL Ground School
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:09
P-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAA

I graduated from OAA in Feb 09 after completing a Cadet Scheme (what some might call sponsored). No financial costs were covered by the company but this was outlined from the start, "you qualify and we'll give you a job"

I was one of the lucky ones. Of the 20 that finished my course only 5 of us had jobs for the first 6 months, then the Ryan Air interviews started giving the results and people were then getting jobs with RYR (albeit at huge personal expense).

I think OAA's figures of 90% are true, in fact, of the 40 people graduating at the some time as me all 40 completed the course.

Having been in the industry for a little while now, I've had discussions with many training managers and recruiters and the overall opinion is, to get your first job you need to either know someone in the industry, or have come from a reputable school (and different schools I think have different contacts)

Now, this is my opinion and my opinion only, others will have different thoughts, but:

I think OAA and CTC will have better links to the Major Airlines and Charter Airlines, where Cabair, Aeros, Multiflight, will have more connections to the regionals and single pilot operators. I think this is more down to the sheer size of OAA and CTC compared to the others.

FTE, I think will sit somewhere in the middle - but this is also a very good school.

I went to OAA and I would go there again if I had to start over, it's a little more expensive, but then again I was once told that its like buying a car. "When you buy a Jaguar, you pay more for the name and the product you buy, where a Ford focus, is a good car, but it just aint a Jag"

the above is meant to help make a decision and give a different perspective, I'm not here to antagonise TC, FTE or Cabair guys. Just wanted to give my opinion.

What sold ot to me was the OAA open day. In comparison to all others it was by far the best.

CTC made me feel like I should be humbled to be there and that I wasn't good enough.

Cabair just didn't come across as structured or organised, where OAA was organised, well planned and efficient and overall made me feel like I belonged there.

Good luck with your choice and future career.