PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MEng or BEng?
Thread: MEng or BEng?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:06
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well that must be a huge change from when I graduated in 1996 Flight.

30% of our lot went into finance top end stuff not shop book keeping and had a better pass rate at the chartered exams than the buisness school grads.

20% went to the forces or police.

39 %went into engineering type jobs.

10% post grad. Either a Phd or some flavour like Bio Engineering,law or the like.

1% went into teaching/ year out.

I think 3 went travelling and only 1 didn't have a job although he was a lazy git and hadn't actually applied for anything. Out of 125 Graduating

Salary ranges for Engineering type jobs 15K up to 45K 15k was normal grad jobs and 45k was Oil offshore Wireline type stuff.

Finance was 25K to 100k depending what it was. One lads bonus the year after graduating was 250k but that was in the City not bad with a 2.2.

And Engineering degree isn't just for Engineering there are loads of companys and jobs out there that are more than happy with any numerical degree. Engineering degrees are also credited with having significant problem solving training.

There is alot of snobbery in Engineering with where you got your degree with say a 1st at a Breeze Block establishment being equiv to a 2.2 from one of the better established Uni's.

Although I will grant you this may have all changed over the last 10 years since I worked in the industry.