PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:44
RR_NDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Testability issue

Hi,

Airbus developed a new control philosophy based around the new systems
Introduced more than FBW: a new control philosophy.

don't trust computers in charge of their aircraft
Good issue to be discussed later.

but the B777 (and presumably the B787) is as reliant on it's computers as any Airbus FBW model.
I will go deeper to later comment on that.

A question, regarding "predictability" of a complex "electric/electronic" a/c:

A test 787 (ZA001) was hit by a lightning bolt and survived. (landed). During the Test phase or Certification process, the airliners are "lightning tested"?

Or expressing in another way: Itīs really impossible (indeed near zero probability) to "reset" or even damage the wiring/buses if the a/c is hit by a powerful "cloud-cloud" bolt?

I know the several cases, Iran Air Force 747, JP case, IIRC a P3 in US, etc. that went down (for mech. reasons). My question is on the "Testability" issue on that specific subject.

An a/c after an UAS issue being hit in itīs nose section by a "very intense current" (thousands of amps), facing severe turbulence (with the crew in a "dark" cockpit, interior lights dim*) can become "faulty"? Or, What can cause "multiple failures" in a "redundant computer system"?

(*) No significant lightning activity that night.

old pick-up truck engine
I have it in my RV such engine, modified (fail safe fuel supply and redundant ignition) to be more reliable than the original.

They used 68000s in some of those STS systems. Again - relatively obsolete technology, but comparatively simple and predictable.
Right!