PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question on Emirates- please don't merge into one size fits all thread
Old 21st May 2011, 14:09
MosEisley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no rostered days off in a reserve month. You'll know by 6pm the day before. You'll get 8-9 days off in a reserve month. You may not work a lot but you will be on call with a 45 minute call out so basically house arrest. Call out periods are 8 hours and they do not count toward your max duty time like in the states. They could call you at 7:59 into your call out and send you on a max duty period.

If you are looking for a job with lots of time off and flexible scheduling, this is not the place for you. You will not be able to travel the world on your free time since you will never get more than 3-5 days off in a row. Leave will be the only time you can travel. You might get a day or two off on either side of your leave but don't count on it.

Flight benefits here are a joke. We basically get ID90 on our own carrier with one ALT per year. You can fly on any other carrier for the same price as EK, its pathetic but flying J class home is pretty nice. No jumpseat either if the plane is full. I once talked to a guy waiting for 4 days to get out of JFK back to DXB.

If QOL is your priority, as it should be, demand the 777. You will hate the Airbus schedules and "lifestyle." If I'd known I would have insisted on the 777 or not come at all. You have that leverage now. Just make sure they stick to it. You might show up thinking you're going Boeing and end up with a side stick in your hand.