PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFAP (Federation) takes legal action against Jetstar
Old 21st May 2011, 13:50
HF3000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think freighter pilots are eligible to be members of AIPA. They may be eligible to be members of AFAP. The only one I know who took leave without pay to go to QF Freight was the 737 Training Manager who was not a member of AIPA. He is now the Chief Pilot of QF Freight, I believe.

AIPA made a huge fuss in the press about the B767 freighter operation when it started (then ATI), and a huge fuss internally. Every effort by AIPA to prevent it failed. Was that a failure of AIPA, or a failure of the law of the land? I'd be pretty surprised to hear of any AIPA members taking that gig on leave of absence. Happy to be corrected.

An effective association requires 2 things, at minimum. A good leader, and 100% backing from it's members. ALAEA proved that last dispute. The first is hard to achieve, the second is very hard, particularly with pilots. At least AIPA is doing pretty well on those two fronts. That doesn't mean they can rule the land - Industrial law and corrupt government and media see to that. So they can only do the best that they can, act smart and stay united.

It's a lot harder with JQ pilots - two unions, and some percentage of non-members. At least AIPA and AFAP are attempting to work together in support of JQ pilots. That is excellent and I hope it continues to improve. JQ management hate that, hence the lockout from the last meeting. Take serious note of that.

No AIPA mainline members want the new JQ contracts to be successful either. Despite some comments in this thread, JQ pilots have the full support of all AIPA members in this fight, from the bar-room discussions I have had.

We're all on the same team, folks. Let's stay on message and be nice to each other. Save the ammunition for the real enemy.

Last edited by HF3000; 21st May 2011 at 14:07.