PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 12:59
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTN,
I rather think the 'circus clowns' remark by AA is reference the US army drill team video that follows the QCS one, rather than the QCS one - where 1903 Springfield rifles with chromed bayonets are twirled and thrown about the place. The display exhibits a lot of skill, but it can in no way be confused with rifle drill and is clearly aimed purely at entertainment.... this is not intended as offensive, the skill is pronounced, but it resembles a majorette display most of all, with rather more dire consequences should a twirl go amiss.

Having said that, 'circus clowns' was not a very polite metaphor to use about serving members of the US Army!

I will never forget the SWO at Kinloss who pulled me up as I walked through the main gate enroute SAR standby one morning in the 80's with my holdall over my shoulder.

"Sergeants do not carry holdalls over their shoulders, if it's too heavy for you to carry in your hand then detail an airman to carry it for you!"

Somewhat bemused I agreed with him (he seemed the sort of chap who required a lot of agreement), whilst mentally imagining how well things might go if I were to stop a passing sooty and instruct him to carry my bag to ops for me as it was a bit heavy....
Dave