PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 21st May 2011, 12:11
Aldente

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, I'm with slowjet on this one too.

The following post from a forum on another website sums it all up for me ....

Seeing the world from 38,000 feet thousands of times, reading the checklists thousands of times, being strapped into your seat eventless hour after eventless hour, hoping the flight is eventless, saying the same call outs over and over..., every working day like ground hog day, same stomach butterflies in the sim briefing room as you walk the recurrent training tight rope yet again, the gnawing anxiety of something going wrong on the line, the lack of the sense of actually traveling anywhere, the pointlessness of delay codes, the meaninglessness of the fuel league, the tragic sight of new staff trying to look keen at 5 am, trying to sound delighted to be of service to our customers on the P.A. as they try in vain to recline their seats, seemingly unending light to moderate CAT always threatening and teasing something worse, irritable bowel syndrome and occasional gastric barotrauma every day of every week of earlies, fatigue on quite a few days that feels worse than having dengue fever, bad landings when you have 20,000 hours, realizing that all the pax know you are a prat having made a P.A. without enough thought, fuel supervising procedures, thunderstorms everywhere you want to go, ATC, who you know are earning considerably more than you because they have a union, giving you headings into bad weather and not giving you a different level away from turbulence, occasional nightmares of the GPWS going off just before the alarm goes off at 3:45 am, explaining to cabin crew in the annual safety course what you have to do before the first flight of the 7000th day, remembering where the extension seat belts are kept in the same dire course, trying to pretend to the other pilot that you have a life when searching for conversation topics during the black hole of experience more commonly known as the cruise, cancelling the master caution when on the ground with nothing running, telling the other pilot that you are cancelling the master caution when on the ground with nothing running, watching someone thoroughly check the landing distance when landing somewhere like Stansted, pretending to care about a slot delay, having strange flashbacks of watching Thunderbirds as a kid as you call rotate with a slightly American accent just before realizing how sad you look, reading about the company's profits and expansion plans,..........
Sad, but true.

I wish now I'd done law or medicine .......