PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 21st May 2011, 09:35
slowjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few have stuck to the basic question. My answer too, for what it is worth (40 odd years in the Industry & 22500 hrs) is NO. For simple economic reasons. You will not get the return on your investment however the latter is achieved. But, then we go down the romantic route. This career will always attract those who simply love flying. The same deal if you just fancy being a Racing Driver, Top Sportsperson, Actor etc. It IS the buzz.

But, we have done it to ourselves. Status fell away behind Lawyers, Doctors and other professions because we, as pilots, allowed others to take control. Beancounters; Very odd Management pilots (usually from military backgrounds who thought there was still a war on); CRM lectures to pilots by failed Cabin Attendents; Long hours, shorter rests; Aircraft designed by Engineers where little, if any, piloting skills are required. Oh, lets not forget Union Control , either ! Blimey, list goes on & on.

I too have crossed Oceans and enjoyed the view. Endless views of Ice bergs, the snowey wastes of Canada, the deserts.......ohmigosh, several breathtaking views of Everest.........yeah, brilliant and all worth the effort.But, & here is the rub, I didn't pay for it. Fully Sponsored Cadet with everything provided (down to a pencil & eraser). Never payed for a type rating in my life & turned down SIA B747 because they wanted a Training Bond & a Bank Guarantee ! Get outa here ! You guys pay me ! I do this for MONEY ! I am, after all, a COMMERCIAL pilot.

A few years left and like others have said before, my last few years are the unhappiest. I was even called into the Office the other days to explain why I was persisting in rounding up the fuel requirement to the nearest 100KGS (yes, ex Cranwell, Hercs....no brains).

NO, if someone else is paying all the fees right up to full blown, RHS, decent airline, decent jet.....GO FOR IT. Otherwise, do something else and get that buzz from your local flying club.

Ok, yet another, minrest Jakarta coming up. Better watch my fuel load is right down to the flightplanned KG. Awful third-world uniform (get my own shirts made up in Thailand),crap hotel (who cares as it is minrest anyway), awful crews who you really would not want to dine with anyway and geees, if anything remotely challenging comes up, it is Command by discussion (CRM gay Cabin Attendent told me so ).

It really is quite ghastly & NOTHING like what I signed up to us a dreamy Cadet. I did experience the best of it though but, dear readers, would NOT recommend the current Airline Piloting world to anyone.