PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 08:30
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MountainBear

To a certain extent I agree. There is no way we can cover all situations, with software or 4 in the cockpit.
This should however not lead to (cheap) complacency, to cover the engineers or the companies not having to spend what is their most cherished good: money. This for improvement.

Now I do not ask for impossible improvement, you know, the kind of asymptotic research that brings infinitively small increase of safety. All I ask for is to implement in some models what others have done more intelligently or effectively.

It is not to pretend what might have saved AF447, but the discussion about Airbus autopilot-off authority is quite old. Just as the debate about the 777 speed brake function. Both designs are definitely weaker than the one of the competition. But no manufacturer wants to change anything. First due to cost, then due to eventual law suits. Safety comes third .......

The same applies to training. We all KNOW that it has become very theoretical, in sims and online. Hands on costs and is therefore reduced. Everybody would like more, but the beancounters stand in between and they are omnipotent today. Cost and time are again more importatn than safety.

More training and a better system design MIGHT have saved AF447 or not. That will be the question remaining unanswered, but it will constantly hang over the heads of those who might have helped to prevent it and didn't due to reasons mentioned above.

I for myself will not stop pointing at possible improvements, even if some lobbyists or freaks don't like it.