PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 23:33
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The A330 has a ground mode of Normal Law, which I believe requires a SS input to deflect the control surfaces during the taxi (proportionally to the SS command). Control surface deflection can be monitored on the SD Flt Control page. You don’t need to be in another aircraft to tell if they’re moving. You are not "technically" in Direct Law as such on the ground anyway unless you landed that way. I’ve never noticed if the control surfaces are moving independently during taxi; the priority naturally is that the SS inputs result in the expected movement. You are of course able to command full deflection of each surface in the Normal Law ground mode. No g or roll rate logic involved.

As to DozyWannabe's earlier mention of “manual reversion”, the term itself can apply to a number of different solutions to degraded flight control systems. The earlier Boeing non-FBW aircraft that I’m familiar with do not have direct linkages to the primary control surfaces. In the event of multiple hydraulic system failures, linkage to both the aileron and elevator trim tabs is unlocked and the pilot inputs are to the trim tabs which eventually result in movement of the primary control surface after some excruciating delay. This is probably why a system like this is aircraft size (inertia) limited. A backup electric pump and separate dedicated hydraulic system provides rudder control however. Either electric or at a minimum manual stabilizer trim is always available, barring a jam.

If I recall correctly, the DC-9/MD-80 elevators were unpowered anyway. The MD-90 elevator was unpowered unless the aircraft was stalled and then it was automatically powered to assist recovery. I think the hydraulic pump came on when the shaker did.

All other conditions equal, I would much rather be in ALT 2 or Direct Law in an A330 than in manual reversion in a B727/737. Time marches on. Unique systems with unique problems require unique solutions and there’s always room for refinement.

More knowledgeable Airbus types may correct any of my errors at their leisure.

(I've filed it away to check control surface movement on the ground and FPV functionality the next time I get a chance.)