PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 17:54
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyvirgin - Listen, I know it's tough not having a job. It took me pretty much bang on a year to get mine. Like everyone else, you have sent out many many CV's, email's etc etc. But this won't make you stand out from the crowd.

I ended up working on the ramp for 6 months in between CPL and IR, then after finishing training I worked as Cabin Crew for a summer, then went instructing for a further 6 months before finally landing my job.

My point is that I was able to show my interviewers that I set out to be a well rounded pilot with exerience of what it's like to be the one bringing the tea/coffee into the flight deck and putting up with the self loading freight, and also that I knew exactly what it was like to be the guy out on the ramp in the cold pissing rain chucking bags about and looking up at the flight deck thinking....."one day".

This isn't a holier than thou speech, but just that maybe getting some experience in other aspects of the industry may make yourself more attractive to companies and at the same time you get to network, make money and have a laugh.

Just my 2 penneth....

Good luck.

2W2R