PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New IMC benefits
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 16:50
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pedals are a total waste of money.

The flight behaviour reality of any PC sim is very poor and pedals are thus wasted.

In fact I think a yoke is a waste of money too. I had the big yoke (CH?) which cost over £100. It felt like a plastic toy from McD
CH yoke is fine, as are Saitek Pro Flight Pedals. It is just a case that the more one adds to the sim the more one needs to know about how to set it up for the best results.

Hence if going much beyond a joystick and a basic experience it is best to seek the help of those who use the software and accessories a great deal. Else it is very easy to get poor results and think the accessory was rubbish.

I find the CH yoke is much easier for precise flying like an instrument approach than any joystick, though one would not want to still be using the stock aircraft provided by MS (Just Flight's Warrior is superb though) and the whole thing needs stripping down and rebuilding to make it move really smoothly.

It's just a case of how far does one want to get into the simulation, the further one goes, the more cash gets spent and the more time one has to put into understanding how to get what one wants from it.

For a bit of instrument appreciation for the IMCr, I honestly don't think you need to go too far into the sim.