PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Accident Inquiry Findings
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2002, 00:08
big pistons forever

If you look at the accident record of transport category aircraft in the late 1940's and 1950's there are many simularities to this story. I believe the great improvement in accident rate of large aircraft is largely due to depth and sophistication of aircraft simulation. I had an epiphany a few years ago when I was hired to fly a corporate Cessna 340 part time in the winter. The owner insisted I go with him to do a 3 day refresher at SIMCOM in Scottsdale. It was a non trivial expendature ( approx $ 3000 us ) but you got what you paid for. A excellent instructor with thousands of hours of Twin Cessna time and a 1.5 Million dollar sim with a state of the art visual system and a very realistic flight model. I arrived with considerable piston twin time and like virtually everyone before me crashed on the first EFATO. By the end of the 3 days I could fly away from the same scenario every time. In addition I experienced all sorts of problems that are either too dangerous or impossible to do in the real airplane. I think a program of training in a proper simulator should be mandatory. And for all those who say it is too expense and will ruin the industry , well I guess smoking holes becomes the cost of doing business, which is certainly no problem unless you are in one.