PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Typhoon v Merlin?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 14:45
rogcal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typhoon v Merlin?

This morning I had a grandstand view of a Typhoon and a Merlin? (never was much good at large helo identification) carrying out a low level exercise over my strip here on the South Lincs fens.

The helo was jinking around the sky (never above a 100ft) trying to avoid the Typhoon.

Boy, was it a sight for my old eyes to see so much activity in the skies over the Fens since the Harriers were withdrawn.

Very rarely do I see a Typhoon at low levels (except when practising formation flying for a fly-past) and to have one pulling some seriously tight manouveres at low level with the burners going was awesome to this old PPL.

Just one question, am I right in assuming this exercise is intended to get the Typhoon ready for low level attack deployment (i.e.) replacing the Harrier's low level role. If that's the plan then get the Harrier back now as the helo pilot was running rings around the Typhoon, if gaining target aquisition was the name of the game.

Apologies in advance for posting on here but as I said, an awesome sight and just wanted to share the experience.