PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apocryphal SWO stories out there.......
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 12:25
pmills575

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was sent to do a job at Avro Langar and me and the MT driver were billeted overnight at RAF Newton, a training station. Arrived at the guardroom in the late afternoon and was met by SWO who had an apolectic fit at both of us, finally dismissed us with the final words "I know the SWO at St Mawgan, report to him when you get back". A day or so later I went to see the the man. He was just leaving his office and as soon as I started to expalin he said "I know why you're here. Don't argue with SWOs, they're thick as ****!", and just walked off.

Great man Mr McNaught, seldom told you to get a hair cut but had many ways of saying so. Always used to look quizically at me and say "Lost your violin case son".

When he retired he promptly started work as a clerk in SHQ, I was surpised to see him but he dealt with my query quietly and efficiently. As I went to leave I said " Thank you sir". he smiled slightly and said "You don't call me sir any more son". To which I repied "The RAF may require me to call certain people sir, but I can still choose to use the term to those I respect, sir". Most have to push to get things done, the best few simply lead.

pm575