PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 12:01
Rob21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allow me to go to the very basics.
There are only two things that can change the speed of an airplane. "Nose" and Thrust.

If you have indication of over (or under) speed and your engine settings (EPR, N2, whatever) are within parameters, something is "wrong" with your "nose".

The attitude indicators will show clearly if the "nose" is up or down, no big deal.

Still talking basics, if your power settings are OK, AoA OK, but airspeed indicator goes crazy it is easy to any pilot to realize he is having a wrong airspeed indication.

Now, allow me to scape from basics. The computer is flying the airplane, receives a "wrong" airspeed indication. Is the computer capable to do this simple cross-check (Power settings x pitch) before reacting?
To what I understand, the computer will react immediatly and possible wiil make a wrong input, if he got a wrong airspeed indication.

Here is where a "Human Pilot" can beat a computer logic, and thats why he should be able to shut down the computer in a split second.

Combine all this inside a CB, again the pilot knows that if the nose is up, it is probably going down shortly. Thats why he is trained not to "fight" the airplane in turbulence. On the other hand, the computer is "trained" to "flight" the turbulence to the extreme of his capacity, and then handle the airplane "upside down" to the pilot.

If in the early days CBs had to be avoided, nowadays they should be specially
avoided.
Human Pilots can handle a CB, computers can't...