PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More UK defence cuts!
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 10:50
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Melchett,

Its the cost of a like for like replacement which has prompted the debate. Of all parliamentarians, its the Lib Dems who have suggested it along with the ludicrous notion of a shared deterrent with France. The latter can be dismissed with a single straight forward scenario; what if we feel the need and they don't? or vice versa.

At the point of handing over the Deterrent to the R.N. in 1969, the R.A.F. maintained, at that point, 5 squadrons with Blue Steel, Vulcan and Victor, with 5 more Vulcan squadrons, 3 at Waddington and 2 at Akrotiri with WE177s. As soon as the transfer occurred, that is within some weeks, I believe 4 of the 5 Blue Steel sqns disbanded. The one which was left, 617, soldiered on with the Waddington and Akrotiri Vulcans in the standby role with the WE177.

If it is determined to be cheaper (being the principal aim) to go down an airborne deterrent route again, then they'd need to look at an off the shelf aircraft I suppose. I can't see the GR4 being refurbished sufficiently to meet the requirement in the long term, nor the Typhoon for that matter. The best option might be the F35C or the F15 Silent Eagle? In which case, one would expect more of these to be bought than planned, over and above the order for conventional requirements. Another more radical option would be Taranis? I believe any of these platforms could be equipped to carry an ALCM with sufficient range to launch from a safe distance.

Anyone else?

FB