PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 09:16
bia botal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At cruise, you don't even need altitude for a while; basically, all you need is "pitch, power and attitude"... beside pilot's experience and training.
Power for me is in a nut shell what got them , i believe to the core that the thrust levers where at idle put there by the crew.

They flew a magnificent piece of engineering for what every reason(all though this might be one of them - let's not go there, shall we ? Nice lasses but not appropriate for the thread .. JT - in to as it has been put before "a beast", without a doubt to me they would have tried to reduce to turbulence penetration speed or lower, enter blocked pitots, and or steaming, indicated airspeed does not reduce, but in-fact appears to increase, thrust reduced further, attitude being held as best possible in the turbulence they where experiencing, still no indications of reduction in airspeed, multiple warnings going off, over-speed clacker going off, severe turbulence, do they even notice the stall warning????
when humans are confronted by a computer that is either not working, or working in a regime they are not intimately familiar with, they freeze - they go into brain lock.
Or in this case "task saturation".

Quote:
when humans are confronted by a computer that is either not working, or working in a regime they are not intimately familiar with, they freeze - they go into brain lock.

I believe you are referring to untrained non-professionals, no?
Nonsense, train professionals can and do freeze when confronted with the unexpected, insert multiple unexpected and its again " task saturation" and in this case theres no freezing the sim to have a wee discussion on how to sort it out, as i have no doubt when this is all over and the cause has been found that in some way or another most of us will have to do.

There where just to many things going on at one time.

Remember Aeroperu 603 and Birgenair Flight 301, both cases where the crews where overwhelmed by the information given to them by the aircraft, both cases where the aircraft was flyable and recoverable, especially in the case of 301 where both high speed clacker and stall warning where going off and the fo knew what was wrong the captain kept the thrust levers at idle, why should 447 be any different.