PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where would the nose go?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 09:04
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
ah .. Tmbstory... that was the username ... couldn't recall it for love nor money earlier .. early dementia, I guess.

trim of an aircraft (whatever it be) is to fly a particular angle of attack

a bit simplistic for the real world. If the cg moves too far back, the static stability reduces to a point where the stick force gradient flattens off and then reverses .. still flyable (for a little while, subject to mental workload and general stress) if the condition is recognised and the pilot has some knowledge of what techniques to use .. but the techniques required are quite different to normal stick and rudder stuff.

However, aviation history is littered with the bodies of folk who found out otherwise.

If the cg moves further back one gets to a condition of dynamic instability and all bets are off pending the funerals.

The certification rules give a bit of fat so, in the event of a modest aft limit excursion (and not too much in the way of peripheral problems .. turbulence and so forth) the lucky pilot may get away with it and the roll and yaw (further effect of roll type of thing) should help. It may be necessary to use some judicious asymmetric thrust and this sort of technique we used to use in the simulator for crew exposure to the problem.

OS .. where you been, good sir ? We thought you must have shuffled off the mortal coil ? A bit like the story of the DC3 with the load ambling down to the tail years ago. Not my sort of desired duty period but, then again, I'm getting to the stage where even the barest thought of excitement gets my pulse far higher than it should be ... quite happy to leave the hero stuff to those better equipped to handle it.