PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Crash East Sale
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2011, 04:00
nojwod

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
fencehopper said: "looks like this thing has landed in straight and level trim in a pretty clear looking paddock and got taken out by the fence. Maybe if they put the gear down before banging out it would be in one piece. Does the RAAF still have a gliding club? Shheeesh what a waste."

Mate, if you can build a post and wire fence that will do that amount of damage to a PC-9 running into it, I've got several hundred security contracts I'd like to offer you, mostly for embassies and military organisations...

My bet is a normal nose down impact with a paddock as you'd expect, possible a large semi-flying bounce, being brought to an abrupt halt at the end by the fence, which was able to mangle the wings further and maybe push the already damaged nose off to the side.

Surviveable? Probably? Likelihood of accolades and congratualtions for not punching out? Zilch. More than likely, knowing Victoria's Worksafe and their ruthlessness and pattiness, the crew would have been charged with reckless endangerment of their lives.

Wasn't there a RAAF pilot years ago who managed to successfully glide a Sabre into a landing and save the aircraft, only to be carpeted for disobeying SOPs?