PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas ‘pressures’ pilots to save on fuel
Old 19th May 2011, 23:57
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Devil

Lol. When I first saw my chart it put me at 34%. IE I carried less fuel than average. I immediately upped my fuel orders as I obviously wasn't carrying as much fuel as the other blokes.

I must say that I've got no gripes with QF providing me with figures about how much additional fuel I'm putting on but the sheet they provide is completely devoid of context regarding which sectors they've analysed, etc. Without that context you know nothing. It also doesn't count on the fact that I may have loaded on additional fuel and arrived with (say) 7 plus ton but that I saved the diversion when the TEMPO requirement slid into my arrival time. It just shows that I arrived with 7 ton of fuel. In essence, it's a useless tool and not worth their time doing it.

Further, having seen the sheet it doesn't change anything for me. I never put on discretionary fuel I didn't think I needed prior to getting the sheet and nothing has changed since that time (not with standing my smart alec comments earlier). I still load discretionary fuel as needed. Do I feel pressured? No. Could some guys and gals feel pressured? Probably.

If you want a real giggle though- although it may cause you to cry at the banality of it all- then go to the original article and check out some of the comments. Fran of Sydney is a good one. Apparently we don't order the fuel and the article must be wrong because we just see what fuel is loaded on the loadsheet.