PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs - three threads merged.
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2002, 19:49
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nice one skyambition.

Could you just explain to me again why a person who has aspirations to move on to better and bigger things at some stage, is automatically incapable of giving quality instruction?

I instructed for 6 years and consider myself to be quite good at it. I have never in my life given less than 100% to any of my students, or had one accuse me of sitting in the cockpit daydreaming.

However, I can tell you a story about one chap I know who really wanted to be a career instructor ... a really talented guy, who slowly lost his enthusiasm for the job due to the repeated p!ss being taken by the flying school management brigade. Round about the time our company was investigated by the IRS minimum wage compliance unit, he finally decided he'd had enough and it was time to start getting those CVs out to the airlines.

Sure there are one or two limited exceptions but on the whole, the instructing industry is completely set up for hour builders now. No normal sane person would invest that much in the qualification to work for those kind of wages forever, unless they had some other light at the end of the tunnel.

Why don't you poll the PPL holders at your flying school and ask them if they'd rather pay their current rental rates and have an up-and-coming young airline pilot sitting next to them, or have a 50 quid per hour price hike so they could be guaranteed to have 'career instructors' on the job?