PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 21:32
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you research Spanish accident reports for say the last 10-15 years you will find that crashing Metroliners has been a bit of a national sport.
I imagine with its high aspect ratio wing & a few other quirky features, that it is not such a forgiving little beast. Unfortunately the individuals flying this tricky little contraption , in the dodgiest companies around, are of course the least "valuable" in the job market I.E. the least experienced.
Difficult to change that situation, but the least one would wish for is that they could resist the pressure to bust minima, & indeed even less forgivably, commence 3 approaches blatantly illegally, even though working for several gash operators simultaneously.
That they found themselves unable to resist this perceived, & indeed probably very real, pressure, is finally likely to be the biggest single cause that can be identified.
Sure, scheduling such a recently qualified Crew pairing together was hardly ideal, but ,had they not chosen to commence 3 illegal approaches, and seemingly further excacerbated the risk by commencing their Go-Arounds from way below minima, this would not in itself have presented a problem.
Thanks to the link previously given, I have managed to watch the programme on BBC Ireland.
Very well researched IMHO, and really rather tragic.