PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did BACE 146 fly to wrong airport?
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2002, 18:32
Notso Fantastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be cynical, but are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you're not repeating folklore tales from long ago? I have heard identical stories:
1- involving a BOAC prop aeroplane landing at the wrong aeroplane in Montreal, taxing around and taking off again - the only way it came to light was when a landing fee account arrived at BOAC, and
2- DC-8 landing at Juhu Beach instead of Bombay- rest of the details the same.

The point is that oft repeated stories from the past take on a 'truth' of their own. People will swear blind about them, as they firmly believe the 'alligators infecting the NY sewer system as keepers of exotic pets flush them down the loo when they get too snappy', the man in the JATO equipped truck in the Arizona desert, the 'people waking up with no kidneys', the '$200 cookie recipe', the numerous serious sounding hoax virus warnings, the little girl dying of cancer who wants as many emails as possible, the scuba diver found in the forest fire, the jumper off a tall building who dies of a shotgun wound, the construction workers left inside concrete in bridges, they're all total rubbish and you can believe nothing until you read it from a reliable source- the curse of the internet is all the idiots circulating stories ad infinitum until they gain their own 'truth'. Aviation suffers this tripe as well. So I'm not saying they didn't happen, but I'll believe it when I see it written somewhere reliable. I know some are true- I heard them years ago!

Last edited by Notso Fantastic; 28th Sep 2002 at 18:53.