PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 777 Captains to the A380?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 19:19
a747jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The FCI which locks all 330 guys with less than 2500 hours of 55 tonne time off the 380 is also very clear on the experience needed to come in as a direct entry FO onto the 380. I don't recall the exact times, but it clearly states that you must have a large amount of 330/340 or equivalent widebody experience to join onto the 380. If they choose to ignore this requirement and still abide by the 2500 hours for EK FO's, that would be classic EK. However, in terms of cost, I would imagine its all around cheaper for them to take a guy current on the 330 at EK regardless of 55 tonne time to the 380 and back fill the 330 with new hires than it is to pay the insurance bill for taking somebody brand new with no widebody experience onto the 380 directly. That is just my guess, but rest assured, EK will go the cheapest route. Since the 2500 hours 55 tonne rule is an arbitrary number set by the hire ups, I think it will be the first to go before the requirement for new joiner widebody experience. As for captains, well, I would say that both fleets are equally short, so who knows. Just my 2 cents, which with the fall of the dollar is equivalent to, well, f..kall now days.