PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ordered a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx for aviation use
Old 19th May 2011, 19:18
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
The path this thread has followed, reminds me rather clearly of those "what kind of pilot watch/what kind of pilot sunglasses should I buy?" threads. It triggers reactions like:

Oh god......
Which are not at all useful. From my limited understanding of God, he does not need GPS (or watch or sunglasses).

I suppose some of the posters here have the super database laden GPS systems that do away with paper. Yahoo for them. Others of us still use paper [charts]. Any GPS capable of navigating in lat/long mode can be a very useful SUPPLEMENT for paper charts, when understood, and used within it's limitations. Oh, and it can confirm mapping errors in the current database of the Garmin 530 I used to fly with!

The reference to Etrex Vista caught my eye. The one I bought new in 2002, for the large sum at the time of $600 has served me excellently for all these years. It has a better map than the King KLX-135 GPS Comm I installed new in my plane in 1993 (no map, but also still functions perfectly).

I have used the Etrex Vista for a number of cross country flights whose distance exceeded 3000 miles, and always found my way home. I used it last week while test flying a Twin Otter in California. It had no installed GPS (can you imagine in this day and age!?!). Neither of us were familiar with the area, or the bounds of our assigned flight test area, so after buying and marking up a current chart, off we went with the Etrex in hand. We did not really need it....

Yes, the GPS manufacturers will produce all kinds of specialized units, just as watch makers will engrave wings on the face of a watch, and market it to the elitists.

I have lots of gadgets, but many of them are old, and very simple versions of the super gadgets which now seem to distract a few pilots (and drivers and walkers) to the point where their command of directional control and basic navigation is actually imperilled!

So, if you're not impressed with my Etrex Vista (it's not my only GPS), and you're laughing your self silly 'cause I'm defending it, be impressed that like many here, I've been flying since a time when Loran was the next wonder on the horizon (but not far beyond it) and having a gadget tell you where you were to within 5 miles was a magnificent aquisition!

Use what you can afford, and what works for you, take a chart, and never forget how to use it.....