PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 18:58
deSitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Mechaca, I am not referring to non-trained professionals - I've seen 20 year IT people with A+ skills go completely blank and stare hopelessly at the same text for minutes on end, when confronted by strange issues. I've seen physicists try to make physical sense of manifest nonsense, because "the computer must be right - it's my fault". It's the nature of all humans to assume they are wrong, that they are doing something that's not in the manual, and to start pushing buttons hoping to regain control, not just of the computer system, but of themselves. If computers are going to fly airplanes, then they must do so under complete command of the crew, and in a sudden control emergency, it is senseless to lack an instant "GIMME" switch, that turns the airplane into a very big stick-and-rudder platform. I have no doubt that in the end, we'll find out that the crew lost precious time trying to figure out what to do with the FMC, or even as someone suggested earlier, put the AP back in charge when that was sure to lead to disaster.

I have no idea why some professional aviators are so adamant, to the point of irrationality, in their defense of flight computers. Perhaps it is the human need to feel "on top of the curve" and "up to snuff" with modernity. No one is arguing that FMCs are not a great idea for normal flight - but when it becomes an end in itself, something has gone off the rails.