PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class Rating Instructor Training
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 14:55
Genghis the Engineer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm going to dredge up this ancient thread rather than start a new one. I'm doing a CRI course myself shortly, and prior to that have been wading through the regulations to try and get a clear handle on what a CRI can, and can't, do. I've come up with the following list (supported by another 8 pages of notes and references I've not posted here). I'd be grateful for any confirmation, disagreement, or comments on any of it...

What can be done
  • To get a CRI you need either a PPL or higher licence with at-least 300hrs including 30hrs on class.
  • A CRI may carry out instruction for recurrency, familiarisation, or differences training.
  • A CRI can be paid to instruct in a joint or sole owned UK PtF, UK CofA or EASA aeroplane. In a permit aeroplane, any subsequent examination must be unpaid. The person being taught, unless the aeroplane is certified for public transport, must be an owner of the aeroplane being flown.
  • If the aeroplane is joint owned and has an EASA CofA, the previous maintenance inspection must have been signed for by a licenced engineer, with no subsequent pilot maintenance.
  • The CRI can fly the biennial flight with an instructor required for JAR PPL(SEP), NPPL(M) or NPPL(SSEA)
  • The CRI can teach for differences training for any of tailwheel, VP/CS, retract, turbo/supercharged engines, pressurisation, EFIS, single-lever power – so long as they’ve completed this training themselves.

The regulations do not (appear to) specifically state the following, but they seem reasonable extrapolations
  • A CRI can instruct for transfer between NPPL(SSEA) and NPPL(M), in either direction, but a separate examiner will be needed for the NPPL(SSEA) skill test, and the CRI could not authorise any solo flight before issue of their NPPL(SSEA)/
  • A CRI with appropriate experience and differences training could train for the 3-axis/flexwing differences training on microlights in either direction.
  • A CRI(SPA/SEP) could provide a ME-only pilot with the necessary instruction to obtain/return SEP currency.

Questions for which I can’t seem to find answers:
  • Does a CRI need a CPL to get paid? Presumably they do, but the regulations seem to imply the opposite.
  • Can a CRI teach aerobatics?

G