PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New IMC benefits
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 12:41
I Love Flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies for thread drift and repitition...

As this thread seems to be drifting a little anyway, I would be interested to hear your latest thoughts on getting the IMCr, given the situation as it stands at the moment. I know this has been covered before in other threads, but a totally up to date view would be appreciated.

I should say at this stage that I intend only to fly for pleasure, and have no desire at this stage of going on to do an IR/CPL/ATPL etc.

I am a pretty new pilot, got my licence in April last year and now have 100 hours total time (not P1 though). I got my night rating in October 2010. I had always intended to get my IMCr next, but the whole EASA debate has rather focussed the mind. Everyone I have so far spoken to says basically says go for it, you won't regret it. Would you all agree?

Am I right in thinking that the 'deadline' to get this rating under my belt in order to be able to retain it is around March 2012?

I am already starting to read the Radio Nav & Instrument flying book, and upon advice from others I have purchased RANT, although I haven't yet been instructed how to use it. Realistically, once I get started I think I would be looking at aiming for 1-2 lessons a week wherever possible, does this sound like a sensible plan to those who have done it? With that sort of plan in mind, I would imagine it will take me at least a couple of months to complete the course - again is that a fair assumption do you think?

Finally, any other tips or advice you might like to give?

Thanks in advance for your time.