PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX715 engine fire
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 07:54
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VforVENDETTA
CX A330 dual engine failure/malfunction
So fuel contamination is now a engine design fault ? Did you read any of the reports that the HKCAD put out ?

Originally Posted by Chillimausl
As for the B777, that was a blow, but then along came the A350 and the boot was on the other foot, in my view.
The reason why GE was selected as the sole engine supplier for the 777-300ER/200LR comes down to GE giving Boeing US$200 million contribution to the development of the airframe in exchange for exclusive rights to hang their engine on it.

RR designed, built, and tested an engine for the 777-300ER, it was the Trent 8104, it produced over 110,000 lb of thrust on the test stand before Boeing let them know of their exclusive deal with GE.

Originally Posted by stilton
I guess that explains Pratt's enormous success in the widebody business these days..
They have made some progress of late, however it is a little bit too little too late. There will not be another new wide body designed for some time. I just hope they have some success with the GTF, it is one of their last hopes in the civil aviation world. We all remember how the stillborn PW superfan turned out.