PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX715 engine fire
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 06:44
N1 Vibes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V for,

what a lot of knowledge you have, but I did answer your question:

Can Rolls Royce build anything other than garbage for engines?
As for your information, there needs to be a few clarifications - RR made only one 535E (the E4 as you correctly mentioned) but the earlier variant was the 535-C37 (which relates to the 37,000lb take-off rating, the E4 had 41,000lbs).

For your weight comparison between the RB211-524HT and the PW4000 on the 744, well the PW4000 is installed with C-Ducts, so the engine dry-weight when it's tken off-wing doesn't include these, the RB211-524 has an integrated reverser and exhaust nozzle, making it heavier - in actuality the 3 spool RR engine is acknowledged by those in the know to be at least 300kg lighter when you compare like-for-like (i.e. with the reverser and exh nozzle removed).

For your comparison of the 535Ea being 1 ton heavier than the PW2037 - I have to concede, you may be right....

- RB211-535E4 = 7,680lbs
- PW 2037 = 7,300lbs

....oh dear that'll be 380lbs, oh dear, oh dear - I forgot to mention the PW2037 weight is without the starter and the ignition boxes - let's call it 280lbs shall we?

I can also deduce that you have never flown on the classic 747, for another airline, with the PW JT9 which surges at the mere thought of a crosswind. And the PW4000 also had the same problem, because the Spam's designed the compressor casing to be axially split (a very 1950's design), when CX purchased the SIA a/c they were all converted to the ring-case configuration - thats why you haven't ever experienced a surge on a CX PW powered a/c.

Yes you can drag up the Nationalization of RR(1971 to be precise - 40 years ago), but we won't mention the fact that the US government buys so many military jets with PW engines that it amounts to the same thing, as PW also has a pathetic market share when it comes to the civillian market.....

3x RB211's surge and overtemp - how very unfortunate for you - I hope you changed your undies afterwards. But in general the RB211 rarely has an overtemp when it surges - since I presume you are talking of the surge-in-reverse issue?

As for the hissing sound - then buy a pair of earplugs!

Best Regards,

N1 Vibes