PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 05:28
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR_NDB
The link to the prior post is here in the first section of this thread. http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/39510...ml#post6211506
Specifically the part regarding hydraulic supply saturation & rate limiting.
I would also like to correct a statement I made there, in that the maximum control phase loss resulting from rate limiting appears to be 90 degrees of phase loss.*
HN39 has since posted that a pitch up during cruise at altitude would not break the airframe (at least under positive g) since the wing would stall first.
Note* If the control signal is not perfectly in phase with the aircraft, it may still be possible to generate an out of phase control surface output.

I posed the question specifically because there may need to be a software change to extend the capability of the aircraft to handle turbulence (provided hydraulic saturation/rate limiting is proven). At this point, without hard information, all of this is still speculation as it relates to AF447.
My personal opinion is that if the control system cannot realize the full potential of the rest of the airframe, then it is a fail.